If you are looking for a new and exciting way to do some intensive bodyweight training then you should find a local gym with the TRX Suspension Training System installed.
The TRX provides a complete body workout without having to purchase any weights or resistance machines. The US Military have used this system to aid training and celebrities such as Tobey Maguire used it to help get in shape for Spiderman.
TRX has been around for a couple of years now. At first many people thought it was just a gimmick, but once you do a suspension workout you soon realise that it is a serious piece of kit.
Suspension training was actually invented by an ex-Navy Seal to get troops in top shape. Although it is just some nylon straps you do obviously need a solid base on which to connect them. A power cage should allow you to connect them up OK.
Benefits of TRX Suspension Training
Suspension training works the whole body and is a great fat burning workout and toner.
- Suspension training improves posture by strengthening core muscles
- Nearly 300 exercises can be done on a suspension trainer
- Tee straps can help assist you when doing bodyweight exercises such as assisted pull ups
- Adding some suspension exercises to your weight training and cardio routine helps to prevent muscle memory and work muscles of neglected
- It is good for rehabilitation exercises as the straps can help support and assist movements
- Good for ski training to develop core strength and flexibility
- Spiderman does tham as part of his training (Tobey Maguire, who plays Spiderman in the films)
It is not something that you can easily set up in a home gym though, but if you local gym has some equipment make the most of it. Some gyms now arrange classes based around TRX.
Where to Find TRX Gyms and Classes
In no particular order:
- Virgin Active Gyms – many have TRX equipment and classes – www.virginactive.co.uk/
- Fitness First – check your local gym for TRX – www.fitnessfirst.co.uk/
- The Wellness Centre, Welwyn Garden City, Herts – www.wellnesstrx.co.uk/
- London (near London Bridge) – www.no1studiotraining.co.uk/trx.htm
- Soho and London Wall, London – www.h2bikerun.co.uk/h2fitclasses/
- Croydon – www.fits-u-personaltraining.co.uk/trx.html
- Plymouth – www.hybridgym.co.uk/trx.html
- Solihull, David Lloyds Fitness Solihull – activenrg.co.uk/product_info.php/six-hour-trx-classes-p-123
- Lincoln – www.goodcondition.co.uk/trx-training
- Chester – www.s3fitness.co.uk/
- Exmouth – www.hands-onhealth.co.uk/trx-training
- Sutton Coldfield – www.corefituk.com/TRX.aspx
All details correct as at 31st December 2011. Please leave a comment below if any information is out of date.